Named Finalist, Jefferson Davis Book Award, Museum of the Confederacy
Selected Articles and Media/Book Reviews
- “Forces of Nature: Adobe Forts in the Southwest,” Preservation: The Magazine of the National Trust for Historic Preservation (Summer 2016).
- “Dark Histories of Death: Review of Martha Hodes’ Mourning Lincoln,” Common-place (Summer 2016).
- “Urban Destruction in the Civil War,” Oxford Research Encyclopedia (2015).
- “What do you know? A Civil War Pop Quiz,” Disunion blog, New York Times, June 4, 2015.
- “The Burning of Atlanta,” Disunion blog, New York Times, November 10, 2014.
- “Public Intellectuals? LOL,” The Conversation blog, Chronicle of Higher Education (August 12, 2014).
- (Un)Catalogued (weekly column) JSTOR Daily (September-December 2014).
- “Napoleon Perkins Loses His Leg,” Disunion blog, New York Times, May 26, 2013.
- Review of Copperhead, directed by Ron Maxwell (2013).
- Review of Killing Lincoln, directed by Adrian Moat (2013).
- Review of Django Unchained, directed by Quentin Tarantino (2012).
- “Our New Home Looks Inviting,” Disunion blog, New York Times, February 28, 2012.
- Review of Lincoln, directed by Steven Spielberg (2012).
- Review of Death and the Civil War, written and directed by Ric Burns (2012).
- “Looking for Limbs in all the Right Places: Retrieving the Civil War’s Broken Bodies.” Common-place 12, no. 1 (October 2011).
- Review of Gary W. Gallagher, Causes Won, Lost, and Forgotten: How Hollywood and Popular Art Shape What We Know About the Civil War. In Civil War Book Review (Fall 2008).