Articles and OpEds related to The Three-Cornered War
- “Today’s Republicans are like Lincoln in Only One Way,” New York Times
- “How the Forgotten Fight for the West Exposes the Meaning of the Confederate Flag,” Washington Post
- “Battle of Valverde,” We’re History
- Page 99 Test: The Three-Cornered War
- “Losing Women—and Women’s History—in Times of Crisis,” History News Network
Interviews and Q&As
- “U.S. Confidential: Historian Goes West to Tell Forgotten Story of the Civil War,” Times of London
- Deborah Kalb Books
- Books & Authors Q&A, Civil War Monitor
Reviews and Best of Lists, The Three-Cornered War
- Denver Post: Best Quarantine Reads
- Newsweek: Must-Read Non-Fiction for Spring
- Book Authority: Best New Civil War Books
- Lone Star Literary Life: Texas Books Preview
- Library Journal (starred review)
- Publishers Weekly
- Los Angeles Review of Books
- New York Journal of Books
- Civil War Times
- Civil War Monitor
- Emerging Civil War
- The Tattooed Historian
- The Reconstruction Era
- Michigan War Studies Review
- Albuquerque Journal
Named Finalist, Jefferson Davis Book Award, Museum of the Confederacy
- Contributor: “How Will We Write This History?” Dame Magazine (May 14, 2020)
- “How Historians got Nike to pull an ad campaign – in under six hours,” Washington Post (April 12, 2019)
- “One of the 19th Century’s Most Important Documents …” Washington Post (May 22, 2018)
- “A Brief History of the Stoplight,” Smithsonian Magazine (May 2018)
- “Forces of Nature: Adobe Forts in the Southwest,” Preservation: The Magazine of the National Trust for Historic Preservation (Summer 2016).
- “Urban Destruction in the Civil War,” Oxford Research Encyclopedia (2015).
- “What do you know? A Civil War Pop Quiz,” New York Times (June 4, 2015).
- “The Burning of Atlanta,” New York Times (November 10, 2014).
- “Public Intellectuals? LOL,” Chronicle of Higher Education (August 12, 2014).
- (Un)Catalogued (weekly column) JSTOR Daily (September-December 2014).
- “Napoleon Perkins Loses His Leg,” New York Times (May 26, 2013).
- “Our New Home Looks Inviting,” New York Times (February 28, 2012).
- “Looking for Limbs in all the Right Places: Retrieving the Civil War’s Broken Bodies.” Common-place 12, no. 1 (October 2011).
Selected Media/Book Reviews:
- “Emancipation on Stage,” Civil War Monitor (Winter 2018)
- “Varina,” Civil War Monitor (Fall 2018)
- “The West’s Missing War,” Civil War Monitor (Spring 2018).
- “The Civil War as a Home Invasion,” Civil War Monitor (Summer 2017)
- “Dark Histories of Death: Review of Martha Hodes’ Mourning Lincoln,” Common-place (Summer 2016).
- Copperhead, directed by Ron Maxwell (2013).
- Killing Lincoln, directed by Adrian Moat (2013).
- Django Unchained, directed by Quentin Tarantino (2012).
- Lincoln, directed by Steven Spielberg (2012).
- Death and the Civil War, written and directed by Ric Burns (2012).